Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What's Your Problem?

...and what do you need to solve it? Actually there are probably several problems when it comes to online learning, distance education, and computer based instruction in adult ed.  And all of the things we need that could be potential solutions must be dizzying for adult educators. Paralyzing, even.  Let's talk our way out of this situation. 

I need you to contribute here: 
  • What problems are you facing in adult education?
  • What do you need to solve them? 
Let me help with a few things I hear often:
  • We don't have computers in the classroom. 
  • Our learners don't have internet access. 
  • Students (and teachers) lack the computer skills to make online learning effective. 
  • We can't afford the software licenses.
  • The new GED test is going to exclude many of our learners. 
  • We need online ESOL instruction.
  • Distance learners aren't reportable without a proctored assessment.
Please add your problem to the list with a comment. Or, comment on one of these.  Offer a solution, or a clarification.*  I'll do the same once I see some input from you. (don't make me beg)

*a great way to get topics on my radar for future blogs/podcasts

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to many of those challenges. One of the things we've been looking at more is looking at mobile phones for internet access. In rural PA, students may not have access to high speed internet but they do have internet access with their smart phones. Not all our students have smart phones...but more and more are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Destiny: If our potential students want to learn through their smart phones, then we need to meet that expectation. But here's the problem that I see: Navigation is typically too arduous to be a sustainable daily/weekly routine. With those small screens, I question the learners' ability to really become immersed in the content (though my wife would argue that I'm immersed in Twitter routinely thx to my smartphone). So, formatting of web-based lessons is my sticking point. Apps might be a solution for drill and practice work, but I think the real potential is in tablets. Do rural PA learners have iPads or maybe Kindle Fires?

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will help build a community of practice (and everybody will love you for it).